Monday, April 21, 2008

Why Does Advanced Disk Catalog so .....

I just found out that the product I use, called Advance Disc Catalog 1.5.1 , is not longer supported. That is just great, since this is the only disc cataloging software I use, and it works fine with me so far. Plus, I was hoping that can improve the export feature, because most of them pretty suck.
  • .csv: This one does not work because I have tons of records, and Excel has limitation on number of rows imported. Plus, it enclose the string in quote.
  • .dbf: This one failed because it created messed up data. Some string overrun into other fields. Basically it's a mess.
  • .xml: I couldn't can app that can directly convert it into an Access database. Sure I can write my own code but .... I am lazy.
  • .sql: it's basically a collection of SQL statements, but I tried execute it using SQLServer Management Studio. It didn't work well because of the double quote thing.
So my last and probably best solution is by writing a C# application, read XML file and then insert the data into a blank access database.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eugenius said...

I recommend to try Camel Disc Catalog. It is very powerful, have export to native Excel files (not CSV) and several other formats like RTF, PDF, HTML.

Official site: www.cameldisc.com

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home